Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Veer Kotwal Smarak, Siddhagad

The Sahyadri’s in monsoon is simply heaven. I was tired of returning to the same Malshej Ghat and Khandala, Lonavala during the monsoon to enjoy the clouds and the fog and the mist and the waterfalls and the greenery, and the jungle and the rain of course and jostling with the same half naked and full drunk, unbearable crowd, (for them only enjoyment is booze and to break glass bottles in the waterfall after losing all senses, The only punishment to play around with the mother nature is pack them and send to Sahara Dessert), year after year till I discovered a place where the only sound is silence and then of the roaring waterfall.

Two years back, I went there with one of my friend for the first time only to return with my colleagues, year after that. This year I will be taking my wife and son along.

The little unknown place ( I do not know whether I should give away the name of the place ) is Veer Kotwal Smarak at the base of Siddhagad. Freedom Fighter, Veer Kotwal, Martyr, was shot dead by British Police officer at this spot during the freedom struggle.

If you have vehicle of your own then it’s well and good, otherwise one has to reach Kalyan first and then to Mhasa via Murbad either by S.T.Bus or by local Tempo / Jeep service available. From Mhasa, shared auto rickshaw will take you to the village at the base. A 1 ½ hours gentle walk thru deep forest takes you to the Veer Kotwal Smarak and to the safe Waterfall. The vehicle can reach their directly but not advisable. If you do not stroll in the jungle, what’s the point going there. Well it’s a matter of choice.

On the way there is a medium size dam and lake. The surrounding beauty will simply mesmerize you. My Guraantee.

The road further leads to Siddhagad on the top and further to Bhimashankar.

5 comments:

Shielesh Damle said...

Dear Harekrishnaji,

I am waiting for monsoon. Please get some photographs.

HAREKRISHNAJI said...

Sure. I wasn't having Digital Camera at that time. Henceforth whereever I go, I will carry my Camera.

Anonymous said...

Hello Harekrishnaji,
I want to know from Mhase which base village you went Borwadi or Nariwali?
Dipaali
dbhosle@gmail.com

Raj said...

Hello, actually we are planning to reach there but we are having kids in the ages group of 3 - 6. So is the private vehicle like mini bus or Sumo can easily reach there at waterfall ???? Please let me know urgently.....
Thanks & Regards

HAREKRISHNAJI said...

Raj,

Absoutly no problem. It's safeI had gone there 2 years back in mini bus. It goes rght upto waterfall. It's in a 2/3 steps. Little safe climb takes you to the main waterfall. On the way down from veer Kotwal smarak to Borwadi do not forget to take a halt near lake and dam.

But I am not quite sure about the volume of water in the waterfall as this year the monsoon is not yet started. Last week we had gone to Tamhini and I was quite disappoined canmaparatively last year's scenerio.