Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Chaphekar Dugdha Mandir




In the life, I fail to understand why sometimes, we do not have value for the things or persons, so close to you. I really do not know why Chaphekar Dugdha Mandir, Marathi Restaurant, fully renovated and ready to survive in the rat race and which is so close to my residence, is yet to be visited by me, even though my parents do order snacks. I only have my childhood memories of mother taking us to Chaphekar’s on the way home from the school and eating Batata Puri, Sabudana Vada and Piyush.

Chaphekar Dugdha Mandir is at Dr.D.B.Marg, Grant Road, Mumbai. Let me list down the restaurants in and around Dr.D.B.Marg, who have downed their shutter, in spite of locating on the one of busiest road and the main business district.

1 Sher-E-Punjab – the most prestigious and authenticate Punjabi original restaurant.
2. Sher-E-Punjab – another low budget restaurant
3. Krishna – South Indian Restaurant
4. Sahakar – South Indian Restaurant
5. King- originality is lost long back
6. Aaram – Gujarati Thali Restaurant
7. Bombay A1 – The best Kheema Pao and Omelets Pao
8. Kalpana- South Indian Restaurant
9. Ramanujaneya – South Indian Restaurant
10. Geeta Bhavan – Lost its charm nowadays – very good Sindhi, Punjabi food at reasonable price
11. Tambe / Neo Coffee House – was popular among literary world
12. Vasant Vilas – South Indian Restaurant
13. Liladhar- the best of Kombadi Vade and malvani food
15. Kamath /Vasant Bhuvan – was closed for long period, now under renovation.
16. Raman Vilas - Near Avantikabai Gohkale Rd.

So in those scenarios, isn’t incredible, Chaphekar’s has not only survived but has taken rebirth like phoenix and flourished.

To come back to their menu, it contains pure maharashtrian snacks like Pohe, Upma, Sheera, Batata Vada, Kothiimbir Vadi, Alu Vadi,Misal, Kandha Bhaji, Thalipith, Cutlet, Samosa,Pattice,Puri Bhaji, Usal Pao, Kala Vatana Usal, Channa Usal, Chavli Usal, Moong Usal., then Fasting items like Batata Puri, Sabudana Vada, Upavasachi Misal, Khichadi, Shendgdana Usal etc.

And then the Usual Marathi Thali for Lunch.

So, when I am going to try it out? May be today of Tomorrow.

5 comments:

Varsha said...

must plan a gastronomical journey to Grant Road now..!!

HAREKRISHNAJI said...

Frankly speaking I have not yet tasted food at Chaphekar.I do not know how it is.

TheKing said...

Good to find this blog! Will be waiting to read about more foody places..

Especially good marathi places :-).

Anonymous said...

Hello, and thanks for writing about this place. I am one who is ignorant of where to go in Mumbai to eat good Maharastrian specialities, so I look forward to reading more.

HAREKRISHNAJI said...

THANX. MAY I KNOW YOUR NAME PLEASE.