Thursday, January 18, 2007

ODISSI AND KUCHIPUDI








Today was the second day of Dance Festival.

Yesterday we were delayed because of the traffice jam. Today I made it a point to reach at venue before half an hour.

Mokshya or Self Realization, is it the correct world to describe the experience one goes through while watching divine performance by the artist? So many times I feel that , Parmeshwar (Supreme Power), comes to earth in the form of Artist.

It was a brilliant performance by Mithali Kamath-D’souza(Odissi) and the students of Smt.Smita Shastri (Kuchipudi). It transported each and every one of the audience form this earthy world to a heavenly world of Transcendence. This magnificent portrayal was a treat to the ears and soul. The tremendous joy and serenity in the pin drop atmosphere was palpable. I am quite sure that those artists are personally instrumented by God to give this performance to make each and every one realize the wonders of music in its pristine form. I wasn’t breathing air: I was inhaling music and I wanted it to linger on forever. The great Yogi’s have said that you can see God if you feel one with him. Yesterday , music was the medium and I saw God .Yes, there is no doubt that God, through this artists and music, has touched me, felt me and none importantly made me experience the Supreme Bliss

(Thanx M.G. for the precise write up on my feelings. I have taken help of my friend, who has drafted the para above)

Mithali Kamath-D’souza is an accomplished Indian Classical dancer in the Odissi style. She is the disciple of Smt. Jhelum Paranjpe and has also been trained by the doyen of Odissi dance, late Padma Vibhushan Guru Kelucharan Mohapatra. She has participated in various dance festivals organised in India and abroad.

Smt. Smita Shastri trained in Kuchipudi style by the most renowned Guru Shri C. R. Acharyalu. She is also trained in Bharat Natyam by renowned Gurus viz. Shri Kitappa Pillai, Shri Chatunni Paniker, Shri Kuppiah Pillai and Shri Kalayansundaram. She has participated in various festivals organised in India and abroad.

No comments: