Wednesday, February 21, 2007

THE GAYLORD BAKE SHOP






sample of Birtday Caks, we ordered on Birthday





I strongly believe in one principal that “Only change is constant in the life”.

However when it comes down to gourmet, I feel sometimes I am too rigid.

To prove my point, I will say that I have never ordered Birthday Cakes from anywhere except from The Gaylord Bake Shop at Churchgate ever since I started following “foodism” rigorously. I must confess I do ordered cakes from R.T.I at Huges Road and Croissants at Churchgate on one or two occasions. But my conscious mind brings me back to Gaylord.

If you happen to pass on Veer Nariman Road from the Seashore side, you will notice three food traps. Beware of it and you fall for it carefully. No harm done. First one is Pizzeria. To live its true meaning, Pizzeria serves excellent pizzas. It has been catering to the real need of pizza lovers much, much before the new breed of Domino’s and Pizza Huts mushrooming in the Indian market and it’s still invulnerable. I have a hunch may be it’s the first Pizza Restaurant in Mumbai as my memory goes back to my college days. The beauty of the restaurant is in the Conner Location facing towards sea who brings in cool romantic breeze to turn pleasantly atmosphere in to the gorgeous weather for the foodie’s involved deeply worshipping pizzas with nears and dears.

The second trap is K.Rustum, oldest Ice-cream shop in Mumbai famous for sandwich ice- creams and coldest sweet curd prepared and served in a glass. However it’s slowly losing its charm.

Third in a row is my all time favorite The Gaylord Bake Shop. Just close your eyes and let your nose take a lead to find out the place. Let it be arose and guided by the aroma of freshly Breads and Buns and Rolls and Puffs and Danish and Croissants and Tea Cakes and Cheese Cakes and Mousses and Pies and Tarts and Assorted Desserts and Cookies and Chocolates and Pastries and Cakes and Cakes ranging from Chocolate Truffle to Designer Dome Truffle, from Enchanted Forest to Blueberry Mousse cake, from Strawberry Jaiconde to Rum Kist or Chocolate Alexandra or German Black Forest or Hazelnut Crush. Stop it please. I cannot take it any more.

When I want Focaccia Bread I go to Gaylord. When I need Norlander, and Rye and Thyme and Six Grains Bread, I go to Gaylord. When I need Country Brown Bread, Garlic Bread, White Velvet Sandwich Bread, I still go to Gaylord. When my son is hungry we go to Gaylord for Blueberry Muffins, for Chocolate Croissant, Chocolate Éclair, for Chocolate Mousse, for Passion Fruit Mousse. Chocolate Brownie is my wife’s favorite and simple Veg. Puff mine.

No doubt, behind every successful eatery, the behavior of the persons on the other side of the counter plays important role. The friendly, enthusiast, never tiring, ever smiling staff members works as magnetic force to attract Gaylord’s devotees again and again for their daily need of BREAD and BUTTER.

“If you cannot afford bread, eat Cake”…….. ( I am eating both at The Gaylord Bake Shop)

4 comments:

Anjali Koli said...

Humm... K Rustom was must after school's yearly sport event at Brebourne for mishti doi and their unusual flavours.

HAREKRISHNAJI said...

my all time favorite for Curd. दहि विरज़णाला लावणपुर्वी दुध साखर घालुन तापवतात.पण आता K.Rustum ची रया साफ़ गेली आहे.

Mahek said...

I have never visited gaylords shop i hope i will one day i am never at the town side much so i dont know much about the shops there. i have heard of ANANT ASHRAM at girgaum but after reading your blog i feel like taking a trip to south mumbai and visiting all the shops that you have mentioned . i love to try different types of bread and to see that gaylord has so much variety is a pleasure.
can you do a post of the various varieties ? how is the cost like it must be expensive.

HAREKRISHNAJI said...

Mahek,

I was supposed to update post on Gaylord today. But could not visit their shop on the way home. Will write tomorrow on various varieties , but prices are reasonable