Sunday, December 10, 2006

SURNOLI





Today the climate in my home is sorely hot. My wife is in a bad temper. The reason is quite obvious, Few days back I requested (in her words “ORDER “, Gharat lolat basun phuchtche hukum kaarayala kaaya jaate?), her to cook “SURNOLI”, kind of Dosa prepared by South and North Kanara Saraswat Samaj. Courtesy Ms.Shymla Badal, who shared the recipe in Loksatta.

To add fuel to the fire, my father asked (farmaiesh) her yesterday night whether she is preparing “Godebatati” for dinner, when she was planning for something else. And on the top of that my mother passed a comments in the morning while having conversation with my sister on visit, saying “just look at my Daughter-in-law, she is not even get a chance to visit her sister’s place”

My position is like Railway Junction.

To come back to the recipe, with kind permission, I would like to reproduce the same on my blog. The veteran’s in this field please excuse me for my silly errors and please correct me and please do not make fun of me.

Ingredients:

Two bowlful of rice, (Jadsar tandul)
One bowl of grated wet coconut (Olye naralacha kis)
One bowl jade pohe.
One bowl Jaggery
One spoon fenugreek seeds (methiche Dane),
Half bowl buttermilk
Little turmeric,
Small bowlful butter (loni) or oil
Salt to taste.

Method.

On previous night, wash rice along with fenugreek seeds thoroughly and soak it in water.
Wash Pohe and soak it in buttermilk.
After four hours, combine all ingredients (Rice, pohe, jaggery, coconut, turmeric, and salt), And grind to just enough to make a smooth mixture. (Jaadasar vatun ghya)Let the batter ferment overnight.Heat pan hot enough, add butter (loni) or oil, put a ladleful of batter in the centre of the pan. Immediately spread the batter in a circular motion starting from the centre like dosa and keep it covered for few minutes, on low flame cook it for one side only. Since it contains jaggery, the chances of burning are more if you keep gas on high flame

After sometime you will notice the color changing from yellowish, that’s means Surnoli is ready. Serve it hot and it goes well with Khobarachi chuttany and Sajuk tup.

Enjoy the aroma while eating like I enjoyed.
Thanks for Corrections :
You sure picked the wrong time for Surnoli! The batter needs to ferment quite a bit for good Surnoli and it's been BRR! cold since the past few days. But if you MUST have, then ... I generally heat the pressure cooker, turn it off and leave the batter in it to ferment overnight if the temp. is cold .Recipe is perfect though. One suggestion: the Surnoli should be spread thick, unlike a Dosa which is spread thin. Serve with dry chutney powder made using phutana daal, roasted dry coconut (grated), lots of kadipatta, hing, turmeric, amchur powder, salt and mirchi powder

3 comments:

रोहिणी said...

Liked the idea of a railway junction.... :-) .....

keep posting

Anonymous said...

Well..I expected to read you cooked surnoli after seeing your wife's situation. but.....

Anyway, surnoli is one of my fav too :). I haven't cooked it in long time...Looks like now it is time.

Unknown said...

You sure picked the wrong time for Surnoli! The batter needs to ferment quite a bit for good Surnoli and it's been BRR! cold since the past few days. But if you MUST have, then ... I generally heat the pressure cooker, turn it off and leave the batter in it to ferment overnight if the temp. is cold .

Recipe is perfect though. One suggestion: the Surnoli should be spread thick, unlike a Dosa which is spread thin.

Serve with dry chutney powder made using phutana daal, roasted dry coconut (grated), lots of kadipatta, hing, turmeric, amchur powder, salt and mirchi powder