Sunday, October 08, 2006

Trek The Sahyadries.



When I was Young Turk, I was used to proceeds to mountains instantly at the first summons by the Sahyadries. Nowadays my mountaineering have been drastically reduced to just one trek in a year physically (mentally unlimited) as slowly I am growing old. Let me put it in other way. It’s the heavy toll I am paying for not keeping myself fit. Shame on you. Harekrishanji. Wake up, Come on, wake up. How can you forget the Rain, the Misty Mountains and the Deep forests, birds singing, the blooming of Karvi and Terda flowers, the picturesque valley, the gorges, Streams, Waterfalls, Green paddy-fields, the plateau, the fresh air, the lakes, the long country walks, and the moon light walks? Have you forgotten that you have still not gone to Harischandragad? Are you ready to forget your life long wish to visit Raireshwar during monsoon and to Kalsubai? Have you forgotten your promise to Bhimashankar to visit every year from different approaches? How could you do this to yourself? Do something, you overweight brat, useless fellow, shed off the extra kgs. Control your mouth and start walking right now, lazybones.

Last year, somewhere in March/April, I had gone for a simple trek with my mentor, whom I adore, the mountaineer of the first generation, Amateur Astronomer, Writer, the person who has visited almost each and every corner and knows Maharashtra like a palm of his hand, the person with a gift of extraordinary computerized memory, ask him about any place and you will get the complete details instantly. Well, yes, the Trek. It started on a route descending from Village called Bhamburde near Lonavala to Pacchapurchi Wadi at the base of Sudhagad near Pali via Dhangad. We reached Bhamburde by S.T Bus from Lonavala in the afternoon and had our lunch in a newly renovated temple and then started walking. I like this section in particular as on the way, one can have grand view of Telbaila, a square, solid brown massif as one proceeds further west from Koregad. Some other time I want to try climbing down the ghats of Telbaila and to climb Sudhagad and get down at Pali. En route, we discovered ranmewa, karvand bushes were fully loaded and we went in to the loop. Pluck up karvanda and eat, pluck up and eat. Eat and Pluck up. So much we ate. We spend night in a small Gawaliwada (cluster of few houses of cowboys). It was full moon night. When I looked at the moon, my memory was suddenly overcrowded with filmi songs. I started remembering songs involving moon, like “Tu chanda sheetal kahalata, phir kyu mere aang jalata, phulsa komal baan madan ka shul baneke” and “Hai chanda gaye pardes, chakori yahaa ro ro ke mare” and “Badaloke ghere me chand nazarband hai” and “Tocha chandrama nabhat” and “Ye hawa, ye raat ,ye chhandani teri ek ada pe nissar hai, and Chakorika chandase pyar” and Yahi bahar hi duniyako bhul janeki khushi mananeki……., ye pare pyre najare, ye thandhi thandi hawa, ye halkasa nasha” Uff. Then suddenly, I remembered my beloved wife and “Chaudavika chand ho, ya afab ho. Jo bhi ho khuda ki kasam lajabab ho. Next day morning we enjoyed hot milk at our hosts before proceeding. We selected the easy approach via Nalichi wat (narrow gorge). Such a luxury on a hike? ”. I was quite alright till this portion.

The sad part of the story is, next day afternoon, by the time we reached Pacchapurchi Wadi, I was completely exhausted even though the grand view of Sudhagad, kept my mind occupied. This time I was betrayed by my shoes and my stamina. The shoe bites made me impossible to walk. My friend offered his shoes to me, he even carried my backpack. I was collapsing on the way as if I was on a high altitude trek; fully ashamed of myself I have never dared to go again on trek until now.

A trek before that was a grand success. We had gone to Bhamburde circuit only, but towards Pune’s direction. The destination was Susale, an island in Mulshi Lake which is approachable by the worst motorable road from Bhamburde. It’s an interesting cross country walk with the strikingly graphic of Mulshi Lake on one side. I could have walked endlessly on that road. I understand further ahead is Andharban (The dark forest as the sunrays cannot reach on earth because of dense jungle) through which one can descend to Pali. By the time we reached Susale after a plain walk for 4/5 hours, it was very late in the evening, almost dark. There are few houses on the island and we spent a night in a small temple. The villager promised us a boat ride to the other side of an island which is connected to Ghusalkhamb-Mulshi Road.

Next day at dawn, as I looked down at Mulshi Lake I felt astounded; I will never forget the deep impact of the panoramic view. Why I stayed away from such a lovely place like this through out my life? I asked myself. Only fools can do that. We roamed around for few hours on the island and as promised, the village boy dropped us on the other side by his small boat. The boat ride was just romantic with the most beautiful quite surrounding. JUST LISTEN TO THE SILENCE OF THE NATURE. Being out on the Mulshi Lake is a heavenly experience. The assiduously deep forested hills and the blue sky press down upon the green lake like a huge comforting hug. My friend suddenly remembered story of Matsagandha and Parashar krishi. No wonder, I thought, the great saga became completely mad after fisherwomen and surrender him while riding together in a boat. It’s in the air. I envy him and pity Matsagandha. We returned Mumbai with refreshed mind.

I promised myself to return to this place, which is not yet fulfilled.

Earlier to this, I had gone to Veer Kotwal Smarak, Siddhagad with my other friend. From Mhasa, Near Mubad, Kalyan we went by Share Auto rickshaw to the base. A good motorable road leads you to Veer Kotwal Smarak. We walked all the way and reached our destination within 2 hours. We could not go on the top of Siddhagad because of the rains. There is an exceptional waterfall near smarak still virgin and safe from mad drunkard crowd. I understand approach from Siddhagad to Bhimashankar is very interesting and now ofcoucre is out of my reach. On the way to Smarak, one can visit a dam with good water reservoir. The road back, we selected another approach as we were fed up of walking on Tar Road. It was a steep climb down on the broken path. Still I managed it. What great achievement.

No comments: