Sunday, January 21, 2007

IMG JANFEST 2007


Khudi ko kar buland itna ke har taqder se pehle,
Khuda bande se ye poche bata teri raza (desire) kia hai

Forget the first part, if Khuda(god) ask me what is your desire, I will demand that “ I want to listen to Violin by Dr. L.Subramanian and his teenage son Shri Ambi Subramanian till etenity,”

MUSIC IS A VAST OCEAN AND NO ONE CAN CLAIM TO KNOW IT ALL, THE MORE YOU KNOW, THE MORE YOU RELISE HOW LITTLE YOU KNOW. IT IS AN ETERNAL QUEST - Dr. L.Subramanian

How true. The more you listen , the more you ralise how little you have listened to. There is no cure to this kind of thirstiness.

Yesrterday I was lucky enough to get daily Bhaitak Ticket on the first day of JANFEST 2007 organised by INDIAN MUSIC GROUP, St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai to witness marvellous performance by Dr. L.Subramanian and his teenage son Shri Ambi Subramanian (Violin), with Pt.Swapan Chaudhari (Tabla), Shri Satya Sai (Morsing), Shri K.Shekhar (Tavli) It was an occasion to cherish.


Franky speaking I had gone to the progamme, just to listen to Pt. Ulhas Kashalkar, whose soulful renditions continues to enchant audiences all over (including me always), whose supreme sence of artistic proportion leaves his listeners craving for more, who is rapidly gaining recognition as one of the the top-ranking classical vocalists in India. I rarely miss his recitals.

Pt. Ulhas Kashalkar, commenced an exquisite presentation with pristine beauty of Raga Puriya Dhanashree, most appropriate raga at dusk. Sandhyakalchi vel, hurhur lavanari vel, katarvel, divas mavalalanahi ani raatra ajun ujadali nahi. My all time favourite raga, most suited to my fluctuating moods.

Janfest, the annual music extravanganza is organised by IMG, in the college premises. IMG also organises baithaks throughout the year in the college hall. The IMG library plays host to mini-baithaks that provide a platform to upcoming artists. The IMG enjoys a formidable reputation as a bastion of Indian classical music. Their annual membership fee is just Rs.200.00

Hats off to The IMG.

Special thanks to beloved wife for being bearable. I know I have been out of home very often this year. Thanks again for the loose controls, and for cooking Zhunka Bhakar very late in the night for me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really loved to read this.. I am an Executive Committee member of the IMG.. happened to give a search on Jafest2007 and google gave this... Am truly happy.. Thanks a lot.. You see I was the one who sold Janfest 2007 tickets.. felt good to see that it was so well appreciated by you!

HAREKRISHNAJI said...

Thanks MS for the tickets and many thanks to IMG for providing feast to music lovers, year after year, every year. I still remember the old old days when the last day of the Janfest was used to be full overnight

Partha said...

krishnaji ... this note is a bit out of place , but just wanted to know if you know this years Janfest scehdule and artists . I used to attend till last to last year but missed it last year. I happen to be in Mumbai now ...So want to make it desperately !

Thanks
Partha (greatpartha@gmail.com)